I swear this bathroom is jinxed. Every step of this project has had major problems and the moldings have been no exception.
Here is the master bath when we bought the house. Don’t you just love carpet in the bathroom.
And here is a shot of the bathroom before the molding project began.
Now this is not my first bathroom remodel nor is it my first mirror update. This is the mirror from our hall bath. I installed this molding all by myself and it took less than an hour. So I kept telling my husband it would be easy and we would be done before lunch.
But I am getting ahead of myself. Here is profile of the molding. It is almost an inch thick at the base and has lots of curves. And this is where the problems started. Just painting the base coat on these babies was difficult and then after 4 coats I didn’t like color. So I spray painted them with my favorite ORB. That was much better.
But it still lacked something so I taped off a section in the center of the molding and added a copper glaze and since it would be in the bathroom I topped it off with Wipe-On Poly to protect the finish.
That part went very well, I loved the end product.
However nothing went well from that point on. Even though we had stored the molding on totally flat surfaces they had bowed just a bit. Normally this would be no problem. Just a few extra finish nails and problem solved. But this molding was being applied directly to the mirrors and they were so thick that the mirror adhesive was not strong enough to hold the molding to the mirror until it was completely dry. My sweet husband actually held one of the eight pieces for 20 minutes and it still did not hold.
But we were not going to let the molding win so we got creative and improvised ways to hold the molding tight to the mirrors while the adhesive dried. This is a big and open room so it took us a few tries but we finally came up with ways to brace the moldings.
I have enlarged these pictures so you could see how creative we were. This first piece was braced with our pole tree trimmer.
On this side of the mirror the wall was a bit closer so we were able to use just an ordinary 2x4.
For other larger mirror we used a tension rod for curtains but there was no wall closed enough so my husband put a 1x2 from one wall to the other, where I braced the 1x2 with a cardboard box that once held a curtain rod. In the background of the picture you can see the handle of the pole trimmer brace in the corner of the tub area. On two of the corners we were able to clamp the molding to the mirror. This picture shows how we used a shower curtain tension rod to apply pressure on that corner while the adhesive dried.
So what will the molding look like after all this innovative work.
In this photo you see one of the clamps still attached. But the mirror looks great.
Oh no, the bathroom is not quite done and staged for its grand reveal. But here are some pictures that do as least a decent job of showing off their beauty.
This is a very difficult to get really good pictures when you are dealing with two huge mirrors and three windows but it looks lovely.
My husband really likes that the facet and mirror now match. The molding added a bit a masculinity to an otherwise soft and calm feminine space.
There are other tricks to help you that I want to pass on in a more serious post. So keep and eye out for those posts.
Thank you for reading
Today I am linking up at these great parties, checks them out.
DebbieDoos Newbie Link Party