Zoey and Gidget love to go shopping and every time they come along we meet shoppers who had no idea that dogs are allowed at home improvement stores and we get lots of questions.
So here are a few things you need to know if you want to include your dog on the next visit to Lowe's or Home Depot.
1) No dogs that bite. People are always excited to see cute dogs and naturally want to approach them so if your dog is aggressive or easily frightened it is best that he stay at home.
2) Their vaccinations need to be up to date. Not only does their rabies vaccination need to be current to protect humans but so do their other shots. You don't want your pet to be exposed to other doggy diseases or to be spreading them.
3) There are usually no laws prohibiting dog visits to businesses except for hair salons, doctors offices and restaurants but it is up to management to decide if they want to be dog friendly and that can vary from one location to the next so please respect their wishes.
4) Your dog needs to be on a leash. Not only for her protection but for the protection of other shoppers. Not everyone likes dogs and your dog should not be allowed to approach anyone that does not feel comfortable. I have a fear German Shepards as a result of being bit when I was two and I would not want to be cornered by a Shepard while shopping.
5) If your dog pees you get to clean it up. My dogs have never peed while at Home Depot but it can happen so be prepared. I always have tissues and hand wipes in my purse just in case.
6) Your dog should have good manners. No jumping or barking. You don't want to be asked to leave the store.
Have you ever taken your dog to Lowe's or Home Depot lately? Let me know.
Thanks for reading,